Saturday 15 August 2015

PC Building Week 10 - Changing Default Installation and User Profile Location

This week, I did some registry editing in order to move my user profile and default installation directory to my secondary 1TB Hard Drive.



  1. First, I copied the original default profile folder and original Public profile in C:\Users to D:\Users
  2. Next, I opened regedit and navigated to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList, where I changed the value of the Default, Public, Profile Directory keys to the new location.
  3. I then created my new account, logged off, logged into it and deleted the old temporary account
  4. After that, I ran regedit again, this time navigating to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion, and changed ProgramFilesDir to D:\Program Files.
  5. Finally, I restarted my PC, all the locations changed.
Before Editing the Registry for User Profile Location

After Editing the Registry for User Profile Location

This has been a Behind the Team post from Thomas (The Stacinator). Bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment