Sunday 16 August 2015

First Impressions: Brave

Well, I have to say that I was pleasently surprised by this one. Recently, I visited the Innoventions section of Epcot while on holiday with my family and, as some of you may know, there is a video game section at the end with some of Disney's choice tie-in games (so, Pixar basically). I didn't have much time and, so, only got to go on one game. While Satamer got stuck on an early level of Brave, I thought I'd be brave and jump right in with the final level.


And what I found was a pretty decent twin-stick shooter with some basic but effective elemental matching (life, death, fire and ice) and a combat system which was more exciting and immersive than some of the bigger titles on the market. And quick, don't forget quick. 

Of course, being at the end of the game, I did have most of the upgrades and unlockables (as well as the enemies) so that certainly made my experience of the game more intense than it would have been at the beginning.

The elemental effects are for your bow (which will also be your main form of attack) and this stringed weapon of fury also has some charged attacks (through some upgrades) that turn the screen into an explosion of fire (ice, life or death) and destruction. It just feels great and makes you seem that you are in the film as the warrior princess herself.

As well as the bow, you also have a sword (which I didn't really feel that I needed as the bow is just that good) and a dodging dive ability (which turns the game into a speedrun).

However, it's not all good as there are two major flaws with it (just like most movie tie-ins): the graphics are absolutely terrible and the platforming is sub-par and sticky (unlike the smooth leaps of Mario and Rayman). I skipped the story clips as I was at the end and didn't have much time but if it's based on a Pixar film (even Brave) it should be quite good.

Overall, Brave was a decent game, a great movie tie-in and brilliant twin-stick shooter.

Goodbye for now, Harry

P.S. I managed to beat the final level and complete the game; in case any of you were wondering...

No comments:

Post a Comment