Friday 18 April 2014

First Impressions: Cloudbuilt

The first thing that I have to talk about with Cloudbuilt is not the gameplay or the premise like normal but is, instead, the graphics. They're just beautiful. Set out like a crisper, more comic book like Borderlands, the graphics are sharp, colourful and amazing. The light that you follow sparkles as do the sparks created from a wall jump. Cloudbuilt is definitely a game that takes advantage of the PS4's graphical capabilities and it uses them really well. Just beautiful to look at.

Anyway, back to the gameplay and premise. Well, the premise is lost to me as I haven't played enough but it looks like I was trying to escape from something or get somewhere (I know, these two ideas encompass much of gaming but I really didn't get to play enough). But, while I didn't know what was going on, I found that I didn't much mind.

The gameplay was a fluid platformer full of running, jumps and wall jumps all available at a tilt of an analogue stick. It was easy to find where you were going thanks to a trail of glowing purple particles and by following this path loosely, the game let you try out all sorts of tricks. I didn't once get stuck, or find that I couldn't make a jump due to bad controls or layout. In fact, if I did do something wrong I knew that I had done it wrong and it wasn't the games fault. And, if I did mess up, it game me more time to marvel at the beauty and serenity of it all.

Overall, the game was beautiful in both graphics and gameplay but I wish I could have seen more of a story. Great, another excuse to buy a PS4 (there seems to be a lot of them).

Goodbye for now, Harry

No comments:

Post a Comment