Thursday 23 July 2015

First Impressions: Fallout 3

Welcome to the vault. It may not be the best place in the world but at least it's safe. I think... Here you can grow up in carefully controlled conditions, get a Pip-Boy 3000 at age 10 for all your hoarding needs, pass the G.O.A.Ts at age 16, get your perfect job role assigned and work for the rest of your life for the good of the vault. Remember, the Overseer is watching.


I picked this game up (game of the year edition) so that I could have a look at the series before Fallout 4 comes out. I was told it was Skyrim with guns. So far, the intros have been the same length (long) and of course it is a Bethesda game. However, I was not prepared for some aspects (should have read that vault manual):
The comedy is great and well executed - I laughed out loud a couple of times.
There are a lot of choices - some seem inconsequential although I won't know until I play more.
Just like Skyrim you can pick up and hoard pretty much everything.
The V.A.T.S system is a great way to keep the strategy alive in this game from the past games, although it is a bit fiddly to use with multiple enemies and the controller.
The controls are a bit odd for me - why is x not jump!
People who I thought were my friends are now... *transmission lost*
Shooting someone in the leg is enough to kill them...

So far I have completed the prologue (I loved the growing up sequence - I am one smart baby) and am out into the wasteland. Due to me having the game of the year edition, I was treated to lots of quests and radio transmissions popping up out of nowhere which was nice I guess. I tuned into the radio to listen to some war tunes (why is it that whenever a nuclear fallout or apocalypse happens the only music and equipment that survives is WW2 era?) and made my way out to the city to find my purpose in life... And a bigger gun.

Thanks for reading, Satamer (the Overseer of Vault GamesAppsandReviews).
And remember that war. War never changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment