Wednesday 2 September 2015

First Impressions: Rocket League

I recently got this game on the PS4 after watching a couple of videos on YouTube and liking what I saw. I've got to say, this being my first football-esque game since PES 09, I was a bit apprehensive as I'm not very good at sport games, but I was quickly proven wrong.
First things first, this game is fun. Really fun. The entire premise is like that episode of Top Gear where they use cars for a game of football. But this time you can ride up the walls and fly (sort of). The first match I tried was a 1 vs 1 against a rookie bot (after I had a quick look at the tutorial). This was fun and I learnt a couple of important things:

  • The ball cam is very useful otherwise you can quickly become lost.
  • This game isn't really like football.
  • For rookie bots, boosting straight into the ball as soon as the game starts is a good way to score a goal.
  • Going for aerial strikes is difficult.


I won this match and so had a go at 2 VS 2, 3 VS 3 and 4 VS 4. This is what I learnt:

  • Customising your car is great fun (you win an item after each match) especially as each item keeps track of a different stat.
  • The rookies AI seems to believe that putting the ball in the corner, next to their own goal is a good idea.
  • Pick up all the boosts you can, you'll probably need it.
  • It would be fun if the different maps had something slightly different to each other that weren't just cosmetic e.g hills or cracks in the floor.
  • A shorter match or a capture the flag-esque match would be fun

I then tried to have a go at the online mode however, this is only for PS Plus members so I couldn't.
Instead I had a go at the local multiplayer with Harry which was fun (not only because I won the most!).

Overall, I've had a fun time with this game and can't wait to play more (the trophies are also quite easy to get for all those achievement hunters out there). Hopefully I will be able to get PS Plus at some point so that I can have a go online.

Thanks for reading, Satamer.

No comments:

Post a Comment