Friday 9 May 2014

First Impressions: inFAMOUS: Second Son

This game is a real showcase of the PS4's power and how much its improved from the last generation. Raindrops fall onto the ground, leaves blow in the wind, smoke billows out of car exhausts and ... Fire and lightning shoot out of Delsin's (the main characters) finger tips. The lighting for these are superb and the fluidity of the controls is really good to.


The characters display their emotions really well, the voice acting is nice and the animation outstanding, all giving a realistic and believable feel to the characters. The overall gameplay was fun and the combat is fluid with combos galore. The idea of murdering your enemies or simply knocking them out and letting them live gives some strategic parts to the combat making it less of a hack and slash. I also love the idea of taking the smoke, neon etc. from objects like burnt out cars as it makes the world seem more alive and allows you to interact with the world like never before.

This is added upon by the parkour elements. Along with the normal inhuman feats of jumping and aerobic feats of awesomeness usually bestowed on to the main character, you can also turn into the power you are currently holding (like fire) allowing even more fluidity to your movements and allowing you to traverse great distances easily. Although the sensitivity and accuracy of the controls are lacking in some places it is overall a great way to traverse across the open world.

To traverse the world or to find objectives, you need a map. While the map is all right I personally found it difficult to read with all the symbols and objective location seeming to jump around. Or if I found one, there was simply nothing there when I got to the location. While this may have been because I didn't really know what I was looking for, as I had just jumped into the game halfway through the level, it would have been nice to have had a visual hint (like an arrow) in the game, so that I knew what I was searching for.

Overall, I found this game stunning to play both graphically and with the gameplay. Also, with more time playing the game and with less people looking at me while playing, quietly tutting to themselves, I think I could work out the map and controls. Great game and if I get a PS4 then this is a game I want to get.

Thanks for reading, Satamer.

No comments:

Post a Comment