Thursday 6 October 2016

First Impressions: Clustertruck

No, that's not a misspelling, it's really about trucks. Lots of them, moving at high speed and sometimes floating. You are a person who enjoys running about on top of said trucks. Some say you have a death wish, some say your nuts but you know... You are all of these things. At least you have fun doing it though.
I've kept my eyes on this game for a number of months and even signed up for the alpha (to no avail) so was really excited when it was finally released. I've played through the entirety of Desert and Forest so far as well as nearly all of Winter and I've got to say, I'm having a good, albeit painful time. Due to the speed of the game and me being left handed, I move the character with my pinky finger, not normally a problem, but there's no let up in this game so no rest for my damaged digits. 

Your brain may also hurt to due to the amount happening on screen. It starts sedately, well-controlled trucks driving in a line. Then the obstacles appear. They range from anti-gravity (my favourite) to the simple fences and giant boulders hurtling towards you. Sometimes you can make calculated jumps, sometimes you just have to take that leap of faith and sometimes *smash*, that happens. The controls can take some getting used to as well, as moving left and right isn't as fast as turning round and walking etc. 

To help you there are a number of power-ups available and you can equip one movement ability and one utility. I've only got the double jump and boost so far (preferring the boost, of which I don't think I could live without) although there are more original power-ups such as a portable truck and Super Truck which turns the game into a Super Hot style game. Even with these power-ups, however, be prepared to fail a lot while learning the course and many many times after.

In terms of replayability, there are 80 courses in total and a global/friends leaderboard (which is only partially broken) as well as full Steam Workshop support which I will have to check out sometime. The developers also seem to be regularly updating with small hotfixes at the moment which is never a bad thing.  The graphics are very Unity but still nice and bright and the music helps to enhance the chaotic nature of the game.

Conclusion: overall this is a great game to play if you have a spare 10-20 minutes and it fulfils its purpose of a chaotic, physics based truckformer (technical term) well. Off to jump on more trucks I guess.

Thanks for reading, Satamer.

No comments:

Post a Comment