Friday 30 October 2015

(Long) Comments: Golden Joysticks 2015

The annual awards for everything gaming was on today, and while I didn't manage to watch the ceremony live, I did manage to catch the awards. So. Here they are!:



Best Original Game - Bloodborne - haven't personally played this game but I have heard good things. Preferred winner: Splatoon - for pure originality and fun, this game deserved to win (no Nintendo fan boy bias here!)

Best Storytelling - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - another title I haven't personally played (writing a list of games to get as we speak), although I have played the original Witcher and found that enjoyable (if a bit confusing). Preferred winner: Life is Strange - I'm playing through the second episode on the YouTube channel now and am absolutely loving it.

Best Visual Design - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - spoilers. This game wins a lot. I've seen some of this game in action on YouTube and the graphics are phenomenal. As for best visual 'design' though... Preferred winner: any of them - to be perfectly honest, all of them look great in their own way, from cartoony Splatoon to realistic MGS V.

Best Audio - Ori and the Blind Forest - yet another game I have yet to play or watch for that matter, so I can't really give an opinion. Preferred winner: Life is Strange - the music is brilliant and fits perfectly with the theme. A couple of points taken off for not being able to use the in-game music for YouTube videos!

Best Multiplayer - GTA Online - now I have played this on the PS3 and I have to say it was... all right I guess. While it's fun playing with other people, not having cross-platform play is a massive obstacle when most of your friends play on the PC. Preferred winner: Splatoon - love the variation in battle modes and relatively easy entry point (you can actually win!)

Best Indie Game - Kerbal Space Program - I really need to play more games. I've heard great reports about this space simulation though. Preferred winner: any of them. I haven't actually played any of the indie games nominated so can't give an opinion.

Best Family Game - Splatoon - woot! Great game, but not really sure a game about a post-apocalyptic race that thrives on blood thirsty combat is really a 'family' game. Preferred winner: Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD Remix - again, not really a 'family' game due to the plot but I am a massive fan of the series.

Best Handheld/Mobile Game - Fallout Shelter - I've played this app (three cheers for me!) and I found it good at first, if a bit limited in terms of a build-em-up. Preferred winner: Pokémon ORAS - why wasn't this nominated!  Final Fantasy Record Keeper - for pure amount of content and nostalgia, this is the best spin-off mobile game of a popular brand this year.

Innovation of the Year - First-person mode in GTA 5 - I actually agree with this one...

Best Gaming Moment - Bloody Baron quest in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - as I haven't played the game, I can't really say that this deserves to win or not. Preferred winner: The Summon in FFXV - I love the series and the summons have always been something great to behold.

Gaming Personality - PewDiePie - sure. Why not? 40 million subscribers has to count for something right? Preferred winner: Satamer NerdCubed - the only one of the people nominated that I actually watch.

eSports Icon - Anders Blume of CS:GO fame - I don't really watch eSports (besides Pokémon) so I can't really give an opinion on this one.

Studio of the Year - CD Projekt RED - they seem to be able to do no wrong this year and good on them. Hopefully, this will give Ubisoft and EA the push they need to listen to the community!

Best Gaming Platform - Steam - another company that seems to be able to do no wrong at the moment. Well, we'll see how the Steam Controller and Box go...

Best Gaming Performance - Ashly Burch as Chloe in Life is Strange - now, I've only played the first episode so far, but I have been impressed with all the performances in Life is Strange. Ashly Burch gives the most natural one, however, with many layers of strife, hope and wit thrown in for good measure. Preferred winner: I have to give this one to Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie for Little Big Planet 3, for the comedic timing at the very least.

Best PlayStation Game - Bloodborne - a great game it seems, and one that I will defiantly pick up - I loved Dark Souls. Preferred winner: Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection - three of the best games in one little package. What's not to love?

Best Nintendo Game - Splatoon - out of the ones nominated, this definitely deserves it. But where's Smash Bros.?

Best PC Game - GTA 5 - yes, it is a good game but it's been out for 2 years guys! Preferred winner: Cities Skylines - bought this game on a whim and am absolutely loving it!

Best Xbox Game - Ori and the Blind Forest - beating out some of gamings greatest collections and remasters, originality is the name of the game this year. Preferred winner: Rare Replay - for sheer amount of gaming classics, this is the way to do a collection

Most Wanted Game - Fallout 4 - I can't disagree with this winner, however... Preferred winner: if Kingdom Hearts 3 was nominated, then it should've won (why wasn't it nominated!)

Ultimate Game of the Year - Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - four awards. Right, off to buy this game. Preferred winner: Life is Strange - for one of the most immersive and original games on the market. Shame that no Nintendo games got nominated though...

Lifetime Achievement - Satoru Iwata - completely deserved, a true talent in gaming that will be missed.

Playfire Most Played - GTA 5 - everyone is still playing it to this day and regular updates mean that many more years will be spent in Los Santos. Now for some more story...

Critics Choice - Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - another game I have heard great things about and can't wait to play. Should probably get a proper job to pay for them!

Breakthrough Award - Her Story - while the word 'game' is probably stretching it for this particular game, you can't deny the impact it has had on the indie scene.

Thanks for reading my quite long opinion on this years biggest gaming awards! Satamer.

No comments:

Post a Comment