Friday 27 March 2015

Harry's Top 5(ish) Games of 2014

5) Hyrule Warriors: now then, to begin my top five games of the past year is a game that both I and most of the world didn't expect: a crossover between The Legend of Zelda and Dynasty Warriors. Besides a couple of issues, this has proven to be a pretty brilliant decision by Nintendo and one that I would like to see continued with other Nintendo IP's and genres.
AND
Pokémon Shuffle: continuing on with the theme of good decisions that Nintendo have made that I would like to see continued (if more conservatively) is the free-to-play Pokémon Link title - Pokémon Shuffle. I've thoroughly enjoyed playing this title and think the game, by itself, is superb even without the pay system. Check out my First Impressions for more of my thoughts on this great game.  


4) Pokémon Omega Ruby: Pokémon's at number 3 on my top five games of this year due to it being a great reimagining of one of my favourite Pokémon games (and, indeed, games) of all time - Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. The reimagining includes the new 3D graphics of Gen 6, Mega-Evolutions and the Dex Nav (a very helpful bit of kit there) and only misses out one, crucial part of the originals - the Battle Frontier. Perhaps Delta Emerald is needed then (especially if it's nearly as good as the Delta Episode). The Contests are a much welcome return though! Check out my First Impressions for more of my thoughts on this great game. 

3) The Last of Us: Remastered: I've been wanting to play this game ever since the original came out but just never bought it. Then this Christmas I got a PS4 and finally got to experience the legendary game. And I haven't regretted it. With superb characters, great graphics, brilliant story and a truly scarring prologue (no spoilers here) it has been worth the wait. And now to continue playing... and being terrified. Check out Satamer's First Impressions for more of his thoughts on this great game. 

2) Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U: right, so we all knew that these two games were going to be brilliant and they didn't disappoint. With loads of modes, characters and content as well as the revolutionary amiibo these two titles are amazing and a must buy be it that you prefer the 3DS's mobility or the Wii U's superior graphics. Just get them, that's all I can say.  Check out my First Impressions/review (for the 3DS version) for more of my thoughts on both of these great games.
AND
Mario Kart 8: this is another game from a superb serious and this particular title doesn't disappoint. With amazing graphics/soundtrack, brilliant gameplay and loads of characters, as well as one of the smartest DLC choices I think I've ever seen, this is a game that needs to be played. So do it and enjoy. Check out my First Impressions/review for more of my thoughts on this great game.  

1) Bravely Default: yes, I know this technically came out in 2013 but it was December so I think it can count. I'm really enjoying this game so far due to the amazing story, great characters, great artwork, superb music and vast content (I'm about 25 hours in and still at the beginning). In addition, the gameplay is both traditional (drawing from both Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy) and new and it really benefits from it. All in all, an amazing game and one that is truly deserving of the top spot on my top five of 2014.
I can't wait to play more!

Goodbye for now, Harry

No comments:

Post a Comment