Tuesday 26 June 2018

Comment: Satamer's Favourite E3 Reveals 2018

With E3 (and my exams) complete for another year, I thought I'd do a quick post to reflect on my favourite reveals this year. I'm sure to have missed at least one reveal (I couldn't watch all of the showcases) but I'll update the post if I remember any more

Kingdom Hearts 3: a game I and many others have been waiting over half their lives for, Kingdom Hearts 3 finally got a release date this E3 for January 29th, 2019. Two new worlds were also revealed, with Frozen and Pirates of the Carribean, with the latter being a welcome surprise. Also, those graphics are astonishing.

Just Cause 4: a surprise announcement of the continuation of one of my favourite series. New weather effects, improved graphics and a seemingly combined approach of the scale and sandbox of JC3 and the density of options of JC2. Shame about the leaks, but a December release date is very welcome.

Elder Scrolls 6: *faints*

Doom Eternal: even though I've only played the demo of Doom (2016), I 've watched enough of the game to get hyped about its sequel. Maybe it's is time to finally enter hell (if you don't count exams).

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: 60+ characters, a slightly different art style, refined combat and portable. Just Cause 4 now has competition for the December gaming sessions.

The Last of Us 2: Naughty Dog seems to be on the top of their game, again, with this title. More fluid combat, a dodge mechanic, movie quality cutscenes and still on the PS4. I was hoping for a release date but we'll probably get that when the PlayStation Expo drops in December.

Fortnite for Nintendo Switch: now, I'm not a massive Fortnite player but I am glad to see Nintendo embracing popular trends and not be two years late. Shame about the lack of cross-play with PlayStation though, as it means that I (like many others) have to juggle two accounts

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice: a new game from From Software, the minds behind Soulsborne. Sekiro seems to be a more action-oriented adventure rather than an RPG, requiring even more skill as grinding won't be an option. Time to Git Gud it seems.

Nioh 2 and Dying Light 2: another two games which I haven't played the original of, but from what I've seen of them, it's nice to see some sequels on the horizon. This should help their respective genres from becoming stale and monopolistic as could have easily been the case

Dragon Quest XI: Dragon Quest VIII was one of the first games I played and Dragon Quest IX occupied most of my summer in a yesteryear. Really excited to see the Western release of this Japanese behemoth.

Pokémon: Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee: another Japanese behemoth, Let's go Evechu (Pikee?) is a slightly different take on the classic Pokémon mechanics, utilizing Pokémon Go. While I'm slightly sceptical and slightly bored with Nintendo's reliance on the first 151 Pokémon, a Switch Pokémon game is simply too good an option to miss out on.

The Elder Scrolls: Blades: watching the trailer of Blades, I got slightly annoyed at Todd Howard (blasphemy, I know). All this talk of originality, and then the game turned out to be this mobile dungeon crawler, which has been done to death since Infinity Blade all those moons ago. He then announced it will be cross-platform across all consoles, mobile, PC and even VR. Now, I'm interested.

We also got a new Platinum game, Fire Emblem for 2019, Rage 2, Forza Horizon 4 set in Britain and much more. This E3 also seemed more concerned with games which will be realistically released within the next year or so, which is nice to see.

Overall, it was a great E3, even with the leaks hindering some of the major announcements

Thanks for reading, Satamer.

What was your favourite announcement in this E3? Let us know in the comments below or on social media!


No comments:

Post a Comment